With the colder seasons and weather now approaching us in Melbourne, it is time to rethink your skin and it's needs. With exposure to the cold weather, harsh winds, dry indoor heating and hot showers, you may find that your skin becomes a little dry, dull and almost lifeless. Here are some tips to keep your skin looking and feeling healthy and supple this winter.
- Turn down the shower water temperature - as tempting as it might be to step into a hot shower on a cold day, it unfortunately does not do wonders for your skin. When the water is too hot, it strips your skin of its natural oils leaving your skin dehydrated.
- Use a hydrating moisturiser - moisturisers not only help to replenish moisture in your skin, but it also creates a barrier against the cold weather. If you prefer, try an oil
- Pamper your body - as easy as it is to slip on some long comfy pants and a warm jumper and forget about the body underneath the woolly goodness, one needs to remember to pamper the body as well. Hydrating just your face is not enough, particularly in winter, as there are fewer oil glands around the body, thus they tend to be naturally drier areas.
- Keep hydrated - just because it's cold outside and you aren't sweating does not mean you can skip out on your eight glasses of water a day. Keeping your insides happy and healthy will always reflect on your skin.
- Scrub - if you are feeling like your skin needs a little rejuvenation, try including a scrub once to twice a week (one for face and another for body). Scrubs help to lift dead skin cells and promote circulation and blood flow. You can also look for scrubs for the body which have natural oils in them, hydrating as you go.
We'd love to hear what some of your winter skin remedies are. Share by commenting below.
Keep happy and healthy this winter!
Photo credit Yong-Li Zhou