I am sure that we have all once walked passed that wooden brush with the long handle at the store and thought that buying a tool especially for the back is a little excessive. I am writing this today to tell you that unfortunately, you can never be too excessive when it comes to purchasing this handy tool. For those of you who did not get it from the title, I am talking about investing in a body brush and discussing how you should use it.
There are a number of benefits of dry brushing your body regularly. Not only does it have the ability to loosen and get rid of dead skin cells, it also stimulates and rejuvenates the skin, improving overall skin texture. The brushing also improves blood circulation and flow of the lymphatic system, helping to remove toxins from the body.
Experts suggest using a plant bristled brush. Plant bristles tend to be softer and better at exfoliating the skin, whereas synthetic material can be harsh and aggravate the skin. It also recommended that you avoid brushing areas of the skin that are inflamed or cut open, so as to prevent infections.
Here are the steps to take before hopping into the shower:
- Start brushing gently at the soles of your feet with swift upward strokes.
- Move to your legs and continue gently brushing upwards towards the heart.
- Follow with hands and arms.
- With a clockwise circular motion brush your back and stomach.
- Hop into the shower to cleanse the skin of any loose dead skin.
- Finish up by patting your skin dry and rehydrating it with your favourite body moisturiser. For those of you who tend to have drier skin, opt for a body oil.
After each time you body brush, spot clean it with a brush cleaner (just as you would your makeup brushes). Try to wash your brush at least once a week with warm soapy water and let it air dry in a well ventilated area. Cleaning your brush not only helps to maintain the brush itself, it also helps to prevent and reduce risk of bacterial infections on the skin.
So if you feel that your skin is becoming a little dull, try a little dry body brushing once a week to rejuvenate you cells. Comment below to let us know how you go or what other tips you have for when you dry body brush.